By Katie Lepi
Technology brings so many awesome things into our lives. A world of information is at our fingertips, not much is out of reach, and there is seemingly a new, awesome, must-have devicereleased every week. We all hear stories of parents who park their kids in front of a TV or computer so they can get things done, and while the kids generally love it, it has taken us awhile to ask important questions about what effect media and devices are having on our kids.
The handy infographic below takes a look at the effect of media and technology on kids in the US . Some of the statistics are pretty concerning – especially pertaining to the amount of exposure that kids have to media and devices these days. Keep reading to learn more. Weigh in by leaving a comment below, mentioning @Edudemic on Twitter or leaving your thoughts on our Facebook page.
How Is Technology Affecting Kids?
- Children under age 2 spend twice the amount of time watching TV as they spend with books
- 42% of kids age 0-8 have a TV in their room
- 70% of daycare centers use a TV as a regular part of the day
- Kids spend about 110 minutes per day watching TV, and a little over 90 minutes watching DVDs or movies
- 73% of parents say they’d like to limit their child’s TV watching
- 66% talk to their kids about the dangers of social media sites
- 53% count on their kid to tell them if there is a problem online
- 43% follow their kids on social media
- 39% set parental privacy settings
- Parents’ biggest concern with social media is violation of privacy
- 79% of teachers use social media as a teaching and learning tool
- 74% say incorporating tablets would be helpful, 26% say it would be a distraction to learning
- Teachers feel that students’ attention span is what is most affected by media
Post Source : http://www.edudemic.com/technology-affecting-kids/
Contact Us –